Theatre 3900

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Hamlet, Day One.

Emily's post will be up by midnight tomorrow night - but since we had class today, I figured it would be a good idea to post something so that you could comment.

As kind of a prompt for these comments - and a prompt ideally that will be continued in Emily's discussion on Friday - I'd like to bring your attention to a passage from Peter Goldman's review of Stephen Greenblatt's book Hamlet in Purgatory.

In Hamlet in Purgatory, Greenblatt argues that the Ghost of Hamlet is not simply a plot device, a generic convention of the Elizabethan revenge tragedy, as sometimes assumed. Its power, both for the audience and for young Hamlet, goes far beyond its function as a plot catalyst. Rather the figure of the Ghost expresses (1) a widespread fear among the living of being forgotten after death and (2) bereavement for those already dead. The Ghost, in brief, inhabits the imaginative space left open by the English Reformation's banishment of Purgatory in 1563. The Ghost returns from Purgatory, and in effect brings Purgatory back with him, albeit in a fictionalized and thereby transformed shape. Shakespeare's Hamlet, as Greenblatt puts it, participates in "a cult of the dead" (203, 257), and we as readers and viewers continue this cult--one with important social functions that he explores at length. Only on this cultic basis can we account for Hamlet's powerful and continued fascination. The primary imperative of the Ghost is to "Remember," not to "Revenge," as commonly thought. In this sense, Greenblatt's interpretation shares common concerns with the readings of René Girard and Eric Gans, for both of whom also revenge is secondary to the refusal or delay of revenge. In Greenblatt's reading, the imperative for memory at the cost of revenge accounts for Hamlet's delay that has so puzzled critics over the centuries, as indeed Hamlet himself (in his soliloquies) is puzzled and frustrated by his lack of ready action. In this reading of the play, the problem is not delay but rather revenge itself: the Ghost does call out for revenge, and Hamlet eventually fulfills that requirement, if not, perhaps, in exactly the way envisioned by King Hamlet. The problem for Greenblatt's interpretation, as he puts it, is that "Sticking a sword into someone's body turns out to be a very tricky way of remembering the dead" (225). If the play is primarily an expression of the "desire to speak with the dead," and the fear, on the part of the living, of being forgotten after death, then how do we account for the elements of revenge at all? We cannot deny that the play, like all revenge tragedies, ends with a bloodbath. And at least part of the aesthetic experience of the play is the conventional anticipation of revenge. As Greenblatt observes, "Purgatory, along with theological language of communion (houseling), deathbed confession (appointment), and anointing (aneling), while compatible with a Christian (and, specifically, a Catholic) call for remembrance, is utterly incompatible with a Senecan call for vengeance" (237). Ghosts from Purgatory typically ask for prayers to hasten their way to Heaven. How, in other words, do we reconcile revenge and remembrance?

A few things to keep in mind about Shakespearean tragedy: although it is influenced by Greek tragedy, its more direct ancestor is found in ancient Rome, specifically in the works of Seneca.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - a writer of the early Roman empire, contemporary and one-time tutor of Emperor Nero - is the author of 9 surviving plays. His plays, many of which deal with revenge, are the only extent examples of fabula crepidata (Roman adaptations of Greek tragedy). There is only one surviving example of a fabula praetexta (Tragedy set in Rome) - Octavia - and it was long attributed to Seneca, too: unfortunately, Seneca's appearance in the play as a character who is forced to commit suicide, an event that actually happened in Imperial Rome as depicted in the play, makes this authorship decidedly dubious.

Like the Greeks, Seneca had a chorus - although given the size of most Roman theatres, it is likely that the chorus was much smaller than those of Sophocles. The structure of the plays was largely the same, and, at least in the fabula crepidata largely stayed close to the Greek myths that inspired them; although Rome as an empire had Etruscan roots, its appropriation of Greek culture, religion, and literature is extremely important. Unlike in many of the surviving plays by Ancient Greeks, Senecan characters die on stage in extremely gruesome ways; frequently, the characters are used as mouthpieces for debates on Stoic philosophy. It's not unreasonable to say that Seneca is the most bad-ass ancient playwright - and his works are the Tragedies that were held up in the Renaissance (in both Italy and England) as the best of the ancient world, and the template upon which new tragedies should be built.

Although the structure of Hamlet is virtually unrecognizable as a Senecan tragedy (there is no chorus, and as such no Tragic structure featuring parados, stichomythia, and repeated agons), the subject matter and details of the plot - the supernatural element of the ghostly visitation, the desire for revenge at all costs, and the bloodsoaked finale - are all staples of Senecan drama. You won't see much of a linear descent from Oedipus to Hamlet, true - but if this was a year long course and we could read 50 plays, I promise you that a few works by Seneca would fill in the gaps between the Greeks and the English Renaissance.

So yeah, guys; that's all I got. This is the structure upon which Shakespeare was building. Use the Greenblatt quote above as a jumping off point for discussion.

5 comments:

  1. I think King Hamlet's ghost is in limbo (or purgatory) because everyone (except Hamlet) forgot about him. The lack of his memory among the living keeps him from finally being at rest and the only way he can fix that is to get revenge. So his remembrance needs revenge, but the act of Hamlet striving for his father's revenge keeps plot moving. I disagree with Greenblatt. While remembering is really important to/for the dead King, if the majority of the play revolves around Hamlet going nuts over seeking revenge, then the importance of revenge surpasses that of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't think there is any crazy hidden meaning behind the purgatory reference in Hamlet. I'm sure Shakespeare was aware of the discomfort or confusion it would cause audience members, but I don't think it has much to do with the overall theme/plot of the play. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of ghosts and spirits (or Catholicism for that matter), but I think the reference to purgatory was simply to make the audience understand where the ghost lived during the day and why he came out at night. Hamlet's ghost states that the reason he didn't go to Heaven is because he was never given the chance to repent for his sins (because he was so suddenly murdered), so he was now paying the price. Other than that, I don't see a significance in the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I really don't know what to say about the purgatory situation, but I would like to say that Hamlet kind of reminds me of Chris (Killer Joe) because they both don't want to live anymore, really, and both are killed at the end of their plays. It's just something I noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I didn't tink that the ghost of King Hamlet was that big of a deal when I first read the play, but from what I learned (from y'all) today and after pondering for a while, I've come to the conclusion that maybe there was a legit reason for what Shakespeare did. The whole purgatory situation with this play is kind of tricky because no one knows the purpose for sure and there are so many ways to look at it, so I won't even try. Instead, I'll just say that I'm pretty sure Shakespeare knew what he was doing; he wanted a reaction from his audience and he got it, whether it was negative, positive or complete confusion. He got his points across and the revenge factor was obviously influenced by rememberance, so I think those two work hand in hand. On a side note, just to touch on what we talked about in class, I'm Catholic. Not die hard, not dumbfounded but I know a little something and I believe in God. I have my questions and doubts about every religon, including mine, but I wouldn't tell someone else that what they believe is wrong or stupid because none of us really know, we just believe, which is why in a weird sort of way, I think Shakespeare was expressing his thoughts too. Also, about the "matter of time" theory; I think that if you see something enough times, you do get use to it but that doesn't mean it's right; different situations affect reactions. Unfortunately, I grew up in various places with different people, one of those places was the hood and I saw people get beat, stabbed and shot all the time. I've seen people literally die before my eyes since I was six and as bad as this sounds, I've become accustomed to it. Now, that doesn't mean that if you died in my lap I'd be like whatever either, but you get the point; it will atleast change your perception of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to London for my senior trip and well I had to go on many educational tours including The Globe Theater, Shakespeare's House, Shakespeare's grave, and Shakespeare's church. I know this is irrelevant to Hamlet, but honestly when I was there I felt as if I was traveling back into history. I honestly believe that for the time period, Shakespeare's religious statement of purgatory was more than just some ghost seeking revenge. I believe it was his way of allowing our minds to take his statement, in which I believe he was mocking the Catholic's beliefs, and consider for ourselves what we actually believe of supernatural forces and life after death. (but that's just my take on it)

    ReplyDelete